Sensors — Instructions for Authors
- read the Aims & Scope to gain an overview and assess if your manuscript is suitable for this journal;
- use the Microsoft Word template or LaTeX template to prepare your manuscript;
- make sure that issues about publication ethics, copyright, authorship, figure formats, data and references format have been appropriately considered; and
- ensure that all authors have approved the content of the submitted manuscript.
Manuscript Submission Overview
Types of Publications
Sensors has no restrictions on the length of manuscripts, provided that the text is concise and comprehensive. Full experimental details must be provided so that the results can be reproduced. Sensors requires that authors publish all experimental controls and make full datasets available where possible (see the guidelines on Supplementary Materials and references to unpublished data).
Manuscripts submitted to Sensors should neither been published before nor be under consideration for publication in another journal. The main article types are as follows:
- Articles: Original research manuscripts. The journal considers all original research manuscripts provided that the work reports scientifically sound experiments and provides a substantial amount of new information. Authors should not unnecessarily divide their work into several related manuscripts, although Short Communications of preliminary, but significant, results will be considered. Quality and impact of the study will be considered during peer review.
- Reviews: These provide concise and precise updates on the latest progress made in a given area of research. Systematic reviews should follow the PRISMA guidelines.
Manuscripts for Sensors should be submitted online at susy.mdpi.com. The submitting author, who is generally the corresponding author, is responsible for the manuscript during the submission and peer-review process. The submitting author must ensure that all eligible co-authors have been included in the author list (read the criteria to qualify for authorship) and that they have all read and approved the submitted version of the manuscript. To submit your manuscript, register and log in to the submission website. Once you have registered, click here to go to the submission form for Sensors. All co-authors can see the manuscript details in the submission system, if they register and log in using the e-mail address provided during manuscript submission.
Accepted File Formats
Authors must use the Microsoft Word template or LaTeX template to prepare their manuscript. Using the template file will substantially shorten the time to complete copy-editing and publication of accepted manuscripts. The total amount of data for all files must not exceed 120 MB. If this is a problem, please contact the editorial office firstname.lastname@example.org. Accepted file formats are:
- Microsoft Word: Manuscripts prepared in Microsoft Word must be converted into a single file before submission. When preparing manuscripts in Microsoft Word, the Sensors Microsoft Word template file must be used. Please insert your graphics (schemes, figures, etc.) in the main text after the paragraph of its first citation.
- LaTeX: Manuscripts prepared in LaTeX must be collated into one ZIP folder (include all source files and images, so that the Editorial Office can recompile the submitted PDF). When preparing manuscripts in LaTeX, please use the Sensors LaTeX template files. You can now also use the online application writeLaTeX to submit articles directly to Sensors. The MDPI LaTeX template file should be selected from the writeLaTeX template gallery.
- Supplementary files: May be any format, but it is recommended that you use common, non-proprietary formats where possible (see below for further details).
A cover letter must be included with each manuscript submission. It should be concise and explain why the content of the paper is significant, placing the findings in the context of existing work and why it fits the scope of the journal. Confirm that neither the manuscript nor any parts of its content are currently under consideration or published in another journal. Any prior submissions of the manuscript to MDPI journals must be acknowledged. The names of proposed and excluded reviewers should be provided in the submission system, not in the cover letter.
Note for Authors Funded by the National Institutes of Health (NIH)
This journal automatically deposits papers to PubMed Central after publication of an issue. Authors do not need to separately submit their papers through the NIH Manuscript Submission System (NIHMS, http://nihms.nih.gov/).
[Return to top]
It is an open publishing model. Papers will be published online immediately once the Editorial Team—including our Advisory Board comprised of high level experts in particular fields—approve a pre-check. All original versions, final versions and/or updated versions, together with the review reports, will be published and can be tracked and indexed. For peer review, authors must provide at least three review candidates for their papers during online submission with our Editorial Team.
Below are the criteria for peer reviewers.
- Hold at least a Ph.D. degree (there as some fields, e.g. medicine and the arts, where this is not strictly required).
- Have published >5 papers in last 5 years in the field of the submitted paper
- No conflict of interest with authors (see below for further details)
- Have a verified email address, i.e., one that appears on their institution’s website or a published paper
- Reviewers cannot belong to the same university or institution
We consider the following situations a conflict of interest:
- The referee has published with the authors or one of the co-authors in the last three years
- The referee has worked on or financially supported research projects where the author or one of the co-authors was involved in the last three years
- The referee is from the same institution as the author or one of the co-authors
- The referee is related to the author or one of the authors (e.g. spouse, child, etc.)
[Return to top]
- Research manuscripts should comprise:
- Front matter: Title, Author list, Affiliations, Abstract, Keywords
- Research manuscript sections: Introduction, Materials and Methods, Results, Discussion, Conclusions (optional).
- Back matter: Supplementary Materials, Acknowledgments, Author Contributions, Conflicts of Interest, References.
- Review manuscripts should comprise the front matter, literature review sections and the back matter. The template file can also be used to prepare the front and back matter of your review manuscript. It is not necessary to follow the remaining structure. Structured reviews and meta-analyses should use the same structure as research articles and ensure they conform to the PRISMA guidelines.
- Graphical abstract: Authors are encouraged to provide a graphical abstract as a self-explanatory image to appear alongside with the text abstract in the Table of Contents. Figures should be a high quality image in any common image format. Note that images displayed online will be up to 11 by 9 cm on screen and the figure should be clear at this size.
- Abbreviations should be defined in parentheses the first time they appear in the abstract, main text, and in figure or table captions and used consistently thereafter.
- SI Units (International System of Units) should be used. Imperial, US customary and other units should be converted to SI units whenever possible
- Equations: If you are using Word, please use either the Microsoft Equation Editor or the MathType add-on. Equations should be editable by the editorial office and not appear in a picture format.
- Research Data and supplementary materials: Note that publication of your manuscript implies that you must make all materials, data, and protocols associated with the publication available to readers. Disclose at the submission stage any restrictions on the availability of materials or information. Read the information about Supplementary Materials and Data Deposit for additional guidelines.
- Preregistration: Where authors have preregistered studies or analysis plans, links to the preregistration must be provided in the manuscript.
- Guidelines and standards: MDPI follows standards and guidelines for certain types of research. See http://www.mdpi.com/editorial_process for further information.
[Return to top]
These sections should appear in all manuscript types
- Title: The title of your manuscript should be concise, specific and relevant. It should identify if the study reports (human or animal) trial data, or is a systematic review, meta-analysis or replication study.
- Author List and Affiliations: Authors' full first and last names must be provided. The initials of any middle names can be added. The PubMed/MEDLINE standard format is used for affiliations: complete address information including city, zip code, state/province, country, and all email addresses. At least one author should be designated as corresponding author, and his or her email address and other details should be included at the end of the affiliation section. Please read the criteria to qualify for authorship.
Available document shells in Version 5.5
Version: 5.5 - Scientific WorkPlace, Scientific Word, & Scientific Notebook
Scientific WorkPlace and Scientific Word include over 200 document shells for producing typeset documents in these categories:
The Scientific Notebook shells, which are also included with Scientific WorkPlace and Scientific Word, are designed to produce documents without typesetting.
Click the magnifying glass next to each name in the list to see a sample document created with the shell.
Periodically, we add to or modify the document shells distributed with our products. Shells marked with a star are new or modified in after Version 5.5 Build 2960 and are available from our ftp site.
See a list of new and modified shells in Version 5.0. We encourage our users to obtain the latest versions of our products, which contain all the new and modified files listed below unless otherwise noted.
If you want to update your shell collection, you can download new and modified shells from our ftp site. The shells are available on our ftp site as self-extracting programs. When you run the programs, the files associated with the shell are automatically installed in the appropriate subdirectories.
To download a shell file,
Click the link to download a self-extracting file for the shell to your program directory. For Version 5.5, the default program directories are c:\swp55, c:\sw55, or c:\Program Files\Scientific Notebook.
Run the program and enter your program directory as the extraction directory.
Follow the prompts that appear on your screen.
When the installation is complete, open the program and start a new document with the new shell.
NoteShells designed for the latest version of the program may not work correctly with earlier versions of the program.
In SWP and SW, these shells are in the Shells/Articles/SW subdirectory.
A Simple MIT Press Article
AGUTeX Article NEW - V5.5, Build 2960
AIP (Similar) Renamed - V5.5 Build 2960 was Similar to AIP
AIP (Similar) - Modified Renamed - V5.5 Build 2960 was Similar to AIP - Modified
American Chemical Society
American Economic Review (Similar) NEW - V5.5, Build 2960
American Statistical Association Proceedings
AMS Journal Article
AMS Proceedings Article
An Astronomy-Astrophysics Journal
Annals of Statistics-Draft
Astronomy & Astrophysics
Biometrics NEW - V5.5, Build 2960
Biometrics (updated)NEWAFTERV5.5, Build 2960
Bulletin of the American Mathematical Society (Similar) Renamed - V5.5 Build 2960 was Similar to Bulletin of the American Mathematical Society
Econometrica (Similar) NEW - V5.5, Build 2960
Elbert Walker's Article
Elsevier Article NEW - V5.5, Build 2960
Elsevier CRC One-column
Elsevier CRC Two-column
Elsevier IFAC Proceedings
Harold O. Fried's Article
IEEE Transactions for Conferences
IEEE Transactions for Journals
International Journal of Forecasting - Draft
International Journal of Pure and Applied Mathematics NEW - V5.5, Build 2960
Japanese Journal of Applied Physics
JEEP - A General Purpose Vehicle
JEEP - Double-spaced Except for Quotes
Joint Statistical Meetings Article NEW - V5.5 Build 2960
Journal of Economic Literature (Similar)
Journal of Economic Perspectives (Similar)
Journal of Economic Theory
Journal of Financial Economics
Journal of International Economics North-Holland
Journal of Low Temperature Physics
Journal of Political Economy (Similar) NEW - V5.5, Build 2960
Journal of Progress in Surface Science
Journal of the Japan Statistical Society
Linear Algebra and its Applications
MAA Monthly before 1992 (Similar) Renamed - V5.5 Build 2960 was Similar to MAA Monthly before 1992
Mathematical Reviews Template
Mathematics Magazine Article
Modified Article for Short Texts
Monthly Notices of the Royal Astronomical Society
North-Holland Journals (Similar) Renamed - V5.5 Build 2960 was Similar to North-Holland Journals)
Quarterly Journal of Economics (Similar) NEW - V5.5, Build 2960
Sequential Analysis Journal (Similar) Renamed - V5.5 Build 2960 was Similar to Sequential Analysis Journal
SIAM Proceedings in Applied Mathematics
Society for Computer Simulation
SPIE Proceedings Renamed - V5.5 Build 2960 was SPIE Proceedings (new) Note: This shell previously used article as the typesetting specification, spie is now the typesetting specification
Springer Journal (svjour3)NEWAFTERV5.5, Build 2960
Springer-Verlag Heidelberg Journal
Squeezed States and Uncertainty Relations
Standard LaTeX Article (Chicago)
Standard LaTeX Article (Harvard)
Standard LaTeX Article (hyperref)
Statistics and Decisions
TU Wien Article was Renamed - V5.5 Build 2960 was TU Wien Article (new)
World Scientific Proceedings 9.00x6.00
World Scientific Proceedings 9.75x6.50 (updated)
World Scientific Proceedings 10.00x7.00
World Scientific Proceedings 11.00x8.50
Author packages for AMS shells
In SWP and SW, these shells are in the Shells/Author Packages for AMS subdirectory.
In SWP and SW, these shells are in the Shells/Books/SW subdirectory.
AMS Book or Monograph
ETP (Electronic Technical Publishing)
Linda Gilbert Book
Memoir Class for Configurable Typesetting
Springer-Verlag Heidelberg LLNCS
Springer-Verlag Heidelberg Physics Monograph
World Scientific Book 9.00x6.00
World Scientific Book 9.75x6.50
Exam and syllabus shells
In SWP and SW, these shells are in the Shells/Exams and Syllabi/SW subdirectory.
SW Exam 1 - 8.5 x 11 Page
SW Exam 1 - 8.5 x 14 Page
SW Exam 2
SW Exam 3
In SWP and SW, these shells are in the Shells/International subdirectory.
Greek Article - XeTeX NEW - V5.5, Build 2960
Japanese Article - XeTeX NEW - V5.5, Build 2960
Korean Article - XeTeX NEW - V5.5, Build 2960
Russian Article - XeTeX NEW - V5.5, Build 2960
Simplified Chinese Article
Simplified Chinese Article - XeTeX NEW - V5.5, Build 2960
Traditional Chinese Article
Traditional Chinese Article - XeTeX NEW - V5.5, Build 2960
In SWP and SW, these shells are in the Shells/International/Deutsch subdirectory, but listed together alphabetically with the above shells.
Deutsche LaTeX Conference Proceedings
Deutsche Wissenschaftliche Arbeit
Deutscher DIN Brief
Deutscher LaTeX Article
Deutscher LaTeX Report
Deutsches LaTeX Book
Other document shells
In SWP and SW, these shells are in the Shells/Other Documents/SW subdirectory.
Article - Extended Font Sizes NEW - V5.5, Build 2960
Assorted - Basic Assignment
Assorted - Math Scratchpad
Book - Extended Font Sizes NEW - V5.5, Build 2960
Book - SW Book 1
Book - SW Book 2
Book - SW Book 3
Book - SW Book 4
Book - SW Book 5
Book - SW Book 6
Fax - SW Fax 1
Fax - SW Fax 2
Fax - SW Fax 3
Letter - Informal
Letter - Similar to TeXbook Example
Letter - SW Letter 1
Letter - SW Letter 2
Letter - SW Letter 3
Letter - SW Letter 4
Letter - SW Letter 5
Letter - SW Letter 6
Memo - SW Memo 1
Memo - SW Memo 2
Memo - SW Memo 3
Memo - SW Memo 4
Memo - SW Memo 5
Press Release - SW Press Release 1
Press Release - SW Press Release 2
Proceedings - Extended Font Sizes NEW - V5.5, Build 2960
Report - Extended Font Sizes NEW - V5.5, Build 2960
Report - JEEP Report
Report - SW Report 1
Report - SW Report 2
Report - SW Report 3
Report - SW Report 4
Report - SW Report 5
Report - TU Wien Report Renamed - V5.5 Build 2960 was Report - TU Wien Report (new) Note: this shell previously used report as the typesetting specification, refrep is now the typesetting specification.
Resume - SW Resume 1
Resume -SW Resume 2
Slides - Beamer NEW - V5.5, Build 2960
Slides - SW Slides
Standard LaTeX document shells
In SWP and SW, these shells are in the Shells/Standard LaTeX subdirectory.
Blank Standard LaTeX Article
Standard LaTeX Article
Standard LaTeX Book
Standard LaTeX Conference Proceedings
Standard LaTeX Report
Style Editor shells
In SWP and SW, these shells are in the Shells/Style Editor subdirectory.
Article - LaTeX-like Article
Article - Sans serif
Book - CalcLabs Book
Book - Fred Szabo's Book
Book - Jonathan Lewin's Book
Book - LaTeX-like Book
Book - Stewart Calculus
Book - User's Guide
Exam Builder Shell
Exam Builder with Title Page
General - Scientific Word Readme
General - Simple WYSIWYG
Slides - Jim's Landscape
Slides - Jim's Landscape 2
Thesis - Harvard Thesis
Thesis - Harvard Thesis Modified by Philippe Laval
Thesis - LSU Thesis
In SWP and SW, these shells are in the Shells/Theses/SW subdirectory.
Air Force Institute of Technology
Boston University ECE
Cornell University NEW - V5.5, Build 2960
Georgia Institute of Technology
Massachusetts Institute of Technology
New Mexico State University (Similar) Renamed - V5.5 Build 2960 was Similar to New Mexico State University
North Dakota State University (Similar) Renamed - V5.5 Build 2960 was Similar to North Dakota State University
University of Arizona
University of California
University of Georgia
University of Massachusetts Amherst NEW - V5.5, Build 2960
University of Miami (Similar) Renamed - V5.5 Build 2960 was Similar to University of Miami
University of New Hampshire
University of New Mexico
University of New South Wales
University of Pittsburgh
University of Utah (Similar) Renamed - V5.5 Build 2960 was Similar to University of Utah
University of Washington
Yale University Doctoral Dissertation NEW - V5.5, Build 2960
Scientific Notebook shells
These shells are designed for direct printing, not for typesetting. In SWP and SW, the shells are in the Shells/Scientific Notebook directory. In SNB, they are distributed among the Shell subdirectories.
Blank with Theorem Tags
Booklet #1 - with Instructions
Booklet #1 - without Instructions
Booklet #2 - with Instructions
Booklet #2 - without Instructions
Exam - with Instructions
Preview the shell:
Preview the quiz:
Help Document Version 3.0
Help Document Version 3.5 and 4
Help Document Version 5
Homework - with Instructions
Japanese Article Requires Japanese Windows
Jonathan Lewin Analysis Book
Jonathan Lewin Campus Communication
Jonathan Lewin Online Book
Jonathan Lewin VCC Style NEW - V5.5, Build 2960
Lab Report - with Instructions
Letter - with Instructions
Math Scratchpad - with Instructions
Print Exam Template
Preview the shell:
Preview the quiz:
Resume - with Instructions
Sample Algebra and Calculus Quiz
Preview the shell:
Preview the quiz:
Scientific Article - with Instructions
Scientific Article - without Instructions
Last revised 05/01/10